Business & Economy

Trump Pauses New 50% Canada Tariffs for Three Days, Says Trade Deal Is Close

Donald Trump has paused planned 50% tariffs on about $20 billion of Canadian imports for three days, saying the US and Canada have reached a deal awaiting final documents.

By Kofi Achem ·
Trump Pauses New 50% Canada Tariffs for Three Days, Says Trade Deal Is Close

US President Donald Trump has temporarily paused new 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days, saying Washington and Ottawa have reached a preliminary agreement and are close to finalising a broader trade deal.

The last-minute decision came shortly before the tariffs were due to take effect on Wednesday, August 19, preventing an immediate escalation in the increasingly tense trade relationship between the two North American neighbours.

Trump announced the pause on Tuesday night, saying the United States and Canada had a “deal” that was subject to the completion of final documents. The proposed tariffs would have affected about $20 billion worth of Canadian products, including a range of consumer and industrial goods. (ABC News)

The three-day reprieve gives negotiators additional time to resolve outstanding disagreements and turn the tentative agreement into a formal arrangement.

Trump says deal has been reached

Trump said he had decided to delay implementation of the new tariffs because negotiations with Canada had produced an agreement.

The US president described the arrangement as a deal that still required the finalisation of documents before it could become fully operational.

The announcement marked a dramatic change from the situation just days earlier, when Canadian businesses and government officials were preparing for another round of steep U’S tariffs.

Reuters reported that Trump had threatened the 50% duties on a broad range of Canadian imports as part of his administration's efforts to pressure Ottawa over what Washington considers discriminatory treatment of American products. (Reuters)

The pause does not necessarily mean the trade dispute has been permanently resolved. Instead, it provides both governments with a short window to settle remaining details.

Canada says important work remains

While Trump declared that a deal had been reached, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney struck a more cautious tone.

Carney acknowledged that substantial progress had been made but said important issues remained unresolved.

The difference in messaging is significant because it suggests the two sides may not yet have reached a comprehensive final agreement.

Canadian negotiators have been working intensively with US officials in Washington to prevent the tariffs from taking effect.

According to Reuters, the talks have focused on market access, economic security and digital trade, while disagreements remain over automobiles, dairy and alcohol.

What goods would have faced the tariffs?

The proposed 50% tariffs were expected to affect approximately $20 billion in Canadian exports to the United States.

Products caught up in the dispute included goods such as wine, liquor, dairy products, furniture, hockey equipment and particle board.

The measures were particularly concerning for Canadian companies that depend heavily on the US market.

Canada sends a large proportion of its exports south of the border, making continued access to the American market crucial for many Canadian industries.

The proposed duties would have increased the cost of Canadian products entering the United States and potentially reduced their competitiveness against American and other foreign products.

Canadian businesses warned that prolonged uncertainty could affect investment, production and employment. (The Guardian)

Automobile sector remains a major sticking point

One of the most difficult issues in the negotiations has been the automobile industry.

US tariffs on Canadian vehicles and parts have already placed significant pressure on the integrated North American automotive industry.

American and Canadian factories depend heavily on cross-border supply chains, with vehicles and components frequently crossing the border multiple times during production.

Reuters reported that Washington and Ottawa were discussing a possible reduction in US tariffs on Canadian vehicle imports from 25% to 15%.

However, the two countries disagreed over how to calculate the North American content of vehicles when determining the applicable tariff rate.

Canada wants components from across North America, including Mexico, to receive broader consideration, while US negotiators have pushed for greater emphasis on American-made content.

Resolving that dispute could be crucial to any lasting agreement.

Dairy and alcohol also feature in negotiations

The trade dispute extends beyond automobiles.

The Trump administration has accused Canada of maintaining barriers that disadvantage American dairy and alcohol producers.

Washington has particularly criticised Canada's dairy import system and restrictions affecting American alcoholic beverages.

Canada, meanwhile, has argued that its policies are legitimate domestic measures and has sought relief from various US tariffs.

The disagreements have become politically sensitive because agriculture is important in both countries and trade policy can directly affect producers, retailers and consumers.

The latest negotiations therefore seek to find a compromise that can satisfy both governments without triggering another round of retaliatory measures.

Trump hints at Keystone XL revival

Trump's announcement also included a potentially significant reference to the Keystone XL pipeline.

The US president suggested that the long-disputed pipeline project could potentially be revived as part of the broader relationship with Canada.

The Keystone XL project was intended to transport Canadian crude oil to refineries and markets in the United States.

Former President Joe Biden cancelled the project's permit in 2021, making its revival politically and environmentally controversial.

Trump has long supported the pipeline, arguing that it would strengthen North American energy security and increase the movement of Canadian oil into the US market.

However, the pipeline has faced strong opposition from environmental organisations and Indigenous communities.

It remains unclear whether Keystone XL will form part of the final trade agreement.

A major reprieve for Canadian businesses

The three-day pause offers immediate relief to businesses that have been preparing for higher costs.

Canadian industry groups welcomed the temporary suspension but warned that uncertainty would continue until a permanent agreement was reached.

The Distilled Spirits Council, for example, welcomed the pause while calling for a lasting solution to the tariff dispute.

For Canadian exporters, the most important issue is not simply avoiding the tariffs for three days but securing predictable access to the US market.

Businesses need certainty when making decisions about production, hiring, investment and supply chains.

Repeated changes to tariff policy can make it difficult for companies to determine future costs and prices.

US-Canada trade relationship under pressure

The latest confrontation is another chapter in a turbulent period for US-Canada economic relations.

The two countries have one of the world's largest bilateral trading relationships, with hundreds of billions of dollars’ worth of goods and services exchanged annually.

In 2024, bilateral trade was worth almost $909 billion, according to reporting by The Guardian. (The Guardian)

The economic integration between the countries means that tariffs can hurt businesses and consumers on both sides of the border.

A Canadian manufacturer that pays more to export to the US may eventually pass those costs on to American customers.

Similarly, American companies that depend on Canadian raw materials or components can face higher production costs when tariffs are introduced.

Trump continues to use tariffs as negotiating leverage

The latest episode demonstrates Trump's continued reliance on tariffs as a tool for achieving broader economic and political objectives.

Rather than viewing tariffs solely as revenue-raising measures, the Trump administration has repeatedly used the threat of duties to pressure trading partners into changing policies.

Canada has become one of the most prominent targets of that strategy because of the enormous scale of bilateral trade and the countries' close economic relationship.

The proposed 50% tariffs were announced in July and were scheduled to take effect on August 19.

The three-day delay now provides an opportunity for the two sides to negotiate a settlement without immediately imposing another major shock on their economies.

What happens after the three-day pause?

The immediate priority for negotiators is to convert the preliminary understanding announced by Trump into a legally and politically workable agreement.

That means resolving the outstanding questions surrounding automobiles, dairy, alcohol, market access and digital trade.

The two governments must also determine how existing tariffs and retaliatory measures will be handled.

For Canada, the objective is to secure greater tariff relief and protect access to the American market.

For the Trump administration, the focus is on obtaining concessions that it believes will improve access for US businesses and strengthen American economic interests.

A fragile breakthrough

Trump's decision to pause the new tariffs represents a significant but fragile breakthrough.

It prevents an immediate escalation and gives negotiators additional time to settle the remaining disputes.

However, Canada's more cautious assessment suggests that the final agreement is not yet guaranteed.

The three-day deadline could therefore become another intense period of negotiations between Washington and Ottawa.

For businesses on both sides of the border, the hope is that the temporary pause will lead to a permanent settlement rather than another extension of tariff uncertainty.

If the two countries successfully finalise their agreement, the development could mark an important de-escalation in their recent trade war.

But if negotiations collapse, the threatened 50% tariffs on Canadian goods could quickly return to the centre of the dispute.

For now, Trump has given the US and Canada three more days to turn a claimed deal into a lasting one.